Frequently Asked Questions




They already take local taxes out of my paycheck. Are the personal taxes the same tax?

They are two completely different types of taxes. The taxes deducted from your paycheck is from earned income and is the amount you use to file your local income taxes. The Borough and School personal taxes are flat taxes (every resident owes the same amount).

I moved (in or out) one month after receiving the bill. Do I have to pay the full amount?

Unfortunately neither the Borough nor the School pro-rates the bill, so if you lived in the Borough on February 1 (Borough bill) or July 1 (School bill), you owe the full tax amount.

I am a full-time college student, do I have to fill out an exemption form every year?

Because your school status can change from year to year, you do need to complete an exemption form for both the Borough and School bill each year.

I moved before the date of the mailing, should I just ignore the bill?

Absolutely not. You need to submit proof to the Tax Collector to receive an exoneration of the bill. Such proof would be a change of address for your driver's license, copy of lease or settlement sheet, utility bill, pay stub, etc. Whatever you provide much show 1)your name, 2) your new address, and 3) a date prior to either Feb. 1 (for the Borough bill) or July 1 (for the School bill). If nothing is provided, the bill will be sent to collections once it becomes delinquent.

I'm on disability, doesn't that exempt me from paying this bill? Or, I'm 85, do I still have to pay this bill?

You would be exempted from the Occupation amount of the bill, but would still be required to pay the Per Capita amount on either bill, plus the Residence amount on the Borough bill.

I retired last year but receive income from my retirement plan. Do I still have to pay the "Occupation" amount on the bill?

The Occupation amount is based on your taxable income you claim on your Pennsylvania tax return. If your only source of income is either social security, retirement (pension) from a previous employer, or disability, and it's not taxable on your state tax return, then you can request an exemption for the Occupation amount on the bill. You must fill out either the Borough or School exemption form and would still need to pay the Per Capita/Residence portion of the bill.

Can I make payments for my personal tax bills?

Unfortunately all personal taxes can only be paid in full. No payments will be accepted.

What happens if I can't pay my personal taxes?

All unpaid personal taxes will be returned to the Borough office and/or the School office after Dec. 31st. They, in turn, forward all delinquent bills on to Keystone Collections Group for collections. You will receive a letter from them by early February. You can make payment arrangements through them. Once I close my books at year-end, I can no longer accept payments.



Can I pay my real estate taxes with a credit card?

Not at this time; however, sometime this year, that option will be available.

My real estate taxes are escrowed. Do you send the bills to the mortgage company or do I?

The County mails the bills directly to the mortgage companies (and a copy to the homeowner), but the School District does not. In both cases, it would be wise to send both real estate bills to your mortgage company.

Can I make payments to pay my real estate taxes?

The County bill can only be paid in full. You have the option to pay your School real estate bill in three installments. You will receive three installment coupons with your bill. If you want to take advantage of paying in installments, the first payment must be paid by August 31st. The second payment is due by Oct. 31st and the last payment is due by Nov. 30th. If paid late, a 10% penalty fee will be added.

What happens if I can't pay my real estate taxes?

Any unpaid real estate taxes (both County and School) will be turned over to Dauphin County Tax Claim by the second week of January. After that date, you must contact their office to make arrangements to pay.